howtovote logo
How to
Utah mails a ballot to every active registered voter a few weeks before the election. Be sure to return your ballot by Election Day! You can also vote in person if you prefer to do so. Utah offers early voting."

Who can vote

To register in Utah you must:
  • be a citizen of the United States
  • have resided in Utah for 30 days immediately before the next election
  • be at least 18 years old on or before the next election (individuals who are 16 and 17 years of age may pre-register to vote; if a 17 year old will be 18 years of age on or before the upcoming general election, they may pre-register and vote in the primary election)
  • not be a convicted felon currently incarcerated for commission of a felony
  • not be convicted of treason or crime against the elective franchise, unless restored to civil rights
  • not be found to be mentally incompetent by a court of law
  • currently resides within the voting district or precinct in which you register to vote
  • You can find more information on voting rights restoration here

Vote in person

Due to COVID-19, in-person services may have limited availability. Contact your local election office to confirm. See CDC guidance on safe in-person voting.

Vote on Election Day

Voters in Utah can look up where to vote on Utah's site.

Vote early

Utah does offer early voting. There are no dates available right now, please check back later.

What to bring

  • You will need to show ID to vote in Utah. You can show either ONE photo ID or TWO non-photo IDs, that when combined, prove your name and current residence.
  • Acceptable forms of photo ID include: Utah driver's license; ID card issued by the state or a branch, department, or agency of the United States; Utah permit to carry a concealed weapon; US passport; or a tribal ID card (doesn't need photo). Non-photo IDs should should show your name and address. Acceptable forms include: current utility bill dated within 90 days before the election; bank or other financial account statement; certified birth certificate; Social Security card; a check issued by the state or federal government; Utah hunting or fishing license; US military ID card; certified naturalization documents, but not a green card; a certified copy of court records showing your adoption or name change; Bureau of Indian Affairs card; a tribal treaty card; Medicaid or Medicare or Electronic Benefits Transfer card; ID card issued by a local government within Utah; ID card issued by your employer; ID card issued by a college, university, technical school or professional school within Utah; or a current Utah vehicle registration.
  • If you are registering to vote at the polls on election day, you must provide a current and valid photo ID as well as proof of residency.
  • Voters without ID: If you are unable to provide ID, you will be able to vote a provisional ballot and must bring an ID and proof of residence to the elections office by the close of normal office hours on Monday after the date of the election.
  • For more information, please visit VoteRiders.

Vote by mail

Utah conducts elections by mail. If you are registered to vote, you should expect to receive a ballot at your designated mailing address. You can return your ballot by mail, or find a drop box on Utah's site

Election Day registration

Utah does offer registration on Election Day.

See what's on the ballot

Learn more about what will be on your ballot by visiting Ballotpedia.

Get step-by-step help

TurboVote can help you start the absentee/mail-in ballot request process, send you election reminders, and more. If you’d like more help planning how to vote, we can walk you through the process!

Military and overseas voters

Active-duty military, their families, and overseas citizens can register to vote and request their absentee ballot using the Federal Post Card Application (FPCA). The FPCA process is done by mail, but your state may offer other options to request and return ballots. Please contact your election official for more information about delivery and return methods, including email, fax, and state online portals. To follow the FPCA process:
  1. Fill out the Federal Post Card Application (FPCA), or download a copy. Your election official may have questions, so please provide an email address or phone number where they can reach you.
  2. Send the application to your election official.
  3. It is never too early to submit an FPCA! Please do so as soon as possible. .
  4. Please fill out and send back your ballot as soon as you receive it.
  5. States begin mailing absentee ballots at least 45 days before Election Day. If you haven't received your ballot by 30 days before Election Day, contact your local election office.
If after submitting your FPCA, your ballot does not arrive, contact your election official first. Then: 
  • You can still vote using the Federal Write-In Absentee Ballot (FWAB). Print, sign, and mail your FWAB to your local election office.
  • If you mail a FWAB and then receive your regular absentee ballot, you should complete and mail your absentee ballot also. Election officials will ensure that only one ballot is counted.The Federal Voting Assistance Program offers additional information on military and overseas voting in Utah. You can also call 1-800-438-VOTE or email

Check your voter registration status

You can look up your voter registration record and verify that your information is correct using Utah's voter registration lookup tool.

Election contact information for Utah

Lieutenant Governor
Utah State Capitol Complex 350 North State Street, Suite 220
Salt Lake City, UT 84114

Phone Number:
(801) 538-1041

Do you have feedback on the content you see here? From an incorrect date to insight on a rule change, we’d love to hear from you! Please fill out this form to share with us. Thank you!