howtovote logo
How to
New Hampshire offers absentee ballots by mail to voters who will be unable to vote in person. All other voters are expected to vote in person.

Who can vote

To register in New Hampshire you must:
  • be a resident
  • be 18 years of age or older on the day of the next election
  • be a United States citizen
  • You can find more information on voting rights restoration here
There is no minimum period of time you are required to have lived in the state before being allowed to register. You may register as soon as you move into your new community.

Vote in person

Due to COVID-19, in-person services may have limited availability. Contact your local election office to confirm. See CDC guidance on safe in-person voting.

Vote on Election Day

Voters in New Hampshire can look up where to vote on New Hampshire's site.

No early voting

New Hampshire does not offer an early voting period. If you will be unable to vote in person on Election Day, you can request an absentee ballot by mail or by visiting your local election office.

What to bring

  • You will be requested to show photo ID to vote in New Hampshire. If you do not have a photo ID, you can prove your identity, age, and/or citizenship, by signing an affidavit, under oath, in front of an authorized election official. New Hampshire law only allows a Moderator, clerk of a town/ward/city, or Supervisor of the Checklist to verify identity. Acceptable forms of ID include (the name on the ID must be substantially similar to the voter registration record and the expiration date cannot exceed five years, except that a voter 65 years of age or older may use an otherwise qualified form of identification without regard to expiration date): a driver's license from any state; a non-driver's ID issued by the motor vehicle agency of any state; a photo ID card for “voting identification only” issued by NH DMV; a US armed services ID card; a student ID from an accredited college, university, or career school in New Hampshire, a New Hampshire public high school, an accredited private high school in New Hampshire, Dartmouth College, and any college or university operated by the university or community college systems of New Hampshire; or a US passport or passcard.
  • If you are registering to vote at the polls on election day, you will also need to provide evidence, in paper or electronic form, establishing identity, age, citizenship and domicile. An applicant who does not possess or did not bring evidence with them can fulfill this requirement with an affidavit(s). Election officials at the polling place will have the affidavits and can answer any questions regarding completing the affidavits. For proof of citizenship, you can show a birth certificate, US passport or passcard, or naturalization documents, or you can sign an affidavit. You cannot use your New Hampshire driver's license as proof of citizenship. For proof of domicile, you must show an official document that includes your name and address. Acceptable documents include: a driver's license or non-driver's ID, a document from your school, a note signed by a school official or RA, a residential lease, a deed or property tax bill, a motor vehicle registration, a voter photo ID issued by NH DMV, a public school enrollment, a tax form or other official government form, a form from the US Postal Service (your address cannot be a PO Box), a utility bill, a note from a homeless shelter that confirms they will receive mail sent to you at their address, or a note from the person who owns or supervises the property where you live (applicants in this circumstance may be directed to complete a domicile affidavit). Find more information about registering in New Hampshire here.
  • Voters without ID: If you are unable to provide ID, you can either have your identity verified by a voting official at your voting location, or sign an affidavit and be photographed by a voting official at your voting location before you vote (if you object to being photographed for religious reasons, you can sign an additional affidavit of religious exemption instead). New Hampshire law only allows a Moderator, Clerk, or Supervisor of the Checklist to verify identity. If you are registering to vote on election day and do not have a proof of domicile, you can sign an affidavit. If you filled out a challenged voter affidavit in order to vote on Election Day, you will receive a verification letter from the Secretary of State requesting confirmation that you voted in the election. If you do not respond in writing to the Secretary of State within 30 days of the date it was mailed, the Attorney General will conduct an investigation to determine whether fraudulent voting occurred.
  • For more information, please visit VoteRiders.

Vote by mail

  1. Review the absentee ballot application and confirm that you meet the eligibility requirements for voting absentee.
  2. Fill out the application completely.
  3. Submit the request to your local election office
  4. When your ballot arrives, read it carefully and follow the instructions to complete it and return it.

Election Day registration

New Hampshire does offer registration on Election Day.

See what's on the ballot

Learn more about what will be on your ballot by visiting Ballotpedia.

Get step-by-step help

TurboVote can help you start the absentee/mail-in ballot request process, send you election reminders, and more. If you’d like more help planning how to vote, we can walk you through the process!

Military and overseas voters

Active-duty military, their families, and overseas citizens can register to vote and request their absentee ballot using the Federal Post Card Application (FPCA). The FPCA process is done by mail, but your state may offer other options to request and return ballots. Please contact your election official for more information about delivery and return methods, including email, fax, and state online portals. To follow the FPCA process:
  1. Fill out the Federal Post Card Application (FPCA), or download a copy. Your election official may have questions, so please provide an email address or phone number where they can reach you.
  2. Send the application to your election official.
  3. It is never too early to submit an FPCA! Please do so as soon as possible. .
  4. Please fill out and send back your ballot as soon as you receive it.
  5. States begin mailing absentee ballots at least 45 days before Election Day. If you haven't received your ballot by 30 days before Election Day, contact your local election office.
If after submitting your FPCA, your ballot does not arrive, contact your election official first. Then: 
  • You can still vote using the Federal Write-In Absentee Ballot (FWAB). Print, sign, and mail your FWAB to your local election office.
  • If you mail a FWAB and then receive your regular absentee ballot, you should complete and mail your absentee ballot also. Election officials will ensure that only one ballot is counted.The Federal Voting Assistance Program offers additional information on military and overseas voting in New Hampshire. You can also call 1-800-438-VOTE or email

Check your voter registration status

You can look up your voter registration record and verify that your information is correct using New Hampshire's voter registration lookup tool.

Election contact information for New Hampshire

Secretary of State
State House, Room 204, 107 North Main Street
Concord, NH 03301

Phone Number:

Do you have feedback on the content you see here? From an incorrect date to insight on a rule change, we’d love to hear from you! Please fill out this form to share with us. Thank you!