We're monitoring election changes related to COVID-19 and making updates to the information below as quickly as possible. Please check back frequently to make sure you have the most up-to-date details.
Last update: Apr 21, 2021
Who can vote
- A citizen of the United States;
- Eighteen years or older on the day of election;
- A resident of North Dakota;
- A resident in the precinct at least thirty days immediately preceding any election; and
- Able to provide a North Dakota driver’s license, nondriver ID, or tribal ID that includes your current residential address and date of birth. (If an individual’s valid form of identification does not include all the information required in subsection 2 of NDCC §16.1-01-04.1, or the information is not current, the identification must be supplemented by presenting any of the documents as outlined in subsection 3 of NDCC § 16.1-01-04.1.)])
- You can find more information on voting rights restoration here
Online voter registration
By-mail voter registration
In-person voter registration
Election Day registration
Military and overseas voters
- Fill out the Federal Post Card Application (FPCA), or download a copy. Your election official may have questions, so please provide an email address or phone number where they can reach you.
- Send the application to your election official.
- It is never too early to submit an FPCA! Please do so as soon as possible. .
- Please fill out and send back your ballot as soon as you receive it.
- States begin mailing absentee ballots at least 45 days before Election Day. If you haven't received your ballot by 30 days before Election Day, contact your local election office.
- You can still vote using the Federal Write-In Absentee Ballot (FWAB). Print, sign, and mail your FWAB to your local Board of Registrars.
- If you mail a FWAB and then receive your regular absentee ballot, you should complete and mail your absentee ballot also. Election officials will ensure that only one ballot is counted.The Federal Voting Assistance Program
Election contact information for North Dakota
Do you have feedback on the content you see here? From an incorrect date to insight on a rule change, we’d love to hear from you! Please fill out this form to share with us. Thank you!