This guide contains information about the 2018 midterm election held on November 6. It may be out-of-date.
Indiana offers online voter registration
. You can register to vote by mail in Indiana by printing a voter registration form, filling it out, and mailing it to your local election office. You can also register to vote in person if you prefer.
To register in Indiana you must:
- be a citizen of the United States
- have resided in the precinct at least 30 days before the next election
- be at least 18 years of age on the day of the next general election
- not currently be imprisoned following a criminal conviction
- Indiana offers online voter registration.
- You should know: you need an Indiana ID to use Indiana's online voter registration system. If you don't have an Indiana-issued ID, you can still register to vote by mail.
- You can register online until Tuesday, October 9.
Use the National Voter Registration Form
- Print and fill out the National Voter Registration Form.
- Box 6 - ID Number: Your state voter ID number is your ten-digit Indiana-issued driver's license number. If you do not possess an Indiana driver's license then provide the last four digits of your Social Security number. If you do not have a Social Security number, then a voter ID number will be assigned to you. Please indicate which number was provided or write “none” if you do not have an Indiana driver’s license or Social Security number. (Indiana Code 3-7-13-13)
- Box 7 - Choice of Party: Indiana does NOT require that you register with a party to participate in partisan primary elections.
- Box 8 - Race or Ethnic Group: Leave blank. This information is not required.
- Review the "Who can vote?" section above and check that you're eligible.
- Sign the form.
- Send the completed form to your local election official. To register by mail, the form must be postmarked by Tuesday, October 9.
Use the Indiana voter registration form
You can also register to vote using the Indiana voter registration form
. Be sure to read the instructions carefully and fill it out completely. Send the completed form to your local election official
. To register by mail, the form must be postmarked by Tuesday, October 9.
can help you fill out your voter registration form, send you election reminders, and more. If you'd like more help registering to vote, TurboVote can walk you through the process.
Active-duty military, their families, and voters living outside the US can register to vote and request their absentee ballot using the Federal Post Card Application (FPCA). To do so:
If after submitting your FPCA, your ballot does not arrive, contact your election official first. Then:
- Fill out the Federal Post Card Application (FPCA), or download a copy. Your election official may have questions, so please provide an email address or phone number where they can reach you.
- Send the application to your election official.
- It is never too early to submit an FPCA! Please do so as soon as possible. You can look up recommended mailing dates by country and region.
- When your ballot arrives, read it carefully and follow the instructions to complete it and return it.
- States begin mailing absentee ballots at least 45 days before Election Day. If you haven't received your ballot by 30 days before Election Day, contact your local election office.
- You can still vote using the Federal Write-In Absentee Ballot (FWAB). Print, sign, and mail your FWAB to your local election office.
- If you mail a FWAB and then receive your regular absentee ballot, you should complete and mail your absentee ballot also. Election officials will ensure that only one ballot is counted.
The Federal Voting Assistance Program – FVAP.gov
offers additional information on military and overseas voting in Indiana.
- Election day is Tuesday, November 6.
- The deadline to register online is Tuesday, October 9.
- The deadline for registering to vote by mail is Tuesday, October 9.
- The deadline to register to vote in person is Tuesday, October 9.
Secretary of State
302 W. Washington St., Rm E204
Indianapolis, IN 46204