This guide contains information about the 2018 midterm election held on November 6. It may be out-of-date.
Georgia offers online voter registration
. You can register to vote by mail in Georgia by printing a voter registration form, filling it out, and mailing it to your local election office. You can also register to vote in person if you prefer.
To register in Georgia you must:
- be a citizen of the United States
- be a legal resident of Georgia and of the county in which you want to vote
- be 18 years old within six months after the day of registration, and be 18 years old to vote
- not be serving a sentence for having been convicted of a felony
- not have been judicially determined to be mentally incompetent, unless the disability has been removed
- Georgia offers online voter registration.
- You should know: you need a Georgia ID to use Georgia's online voter registration system. If you don't have a Georgia-issued ID, you can still register to vote by mail.
- You can register online until Tuesday, October 9.
Use the National Voter Registration Form
- Print and fill out the National Voter Registration Form.
- Box 6 - ID Number: Federal law requires you to provide your full GA driver's license number or GA-issued ID number. If you do not have a GA driver's license or GA ID you must provide the last 4 digits of your Social Security number. Providing your full Social Security number is optional. Your Social Security number will be kept confidential and may be used for comparison with other state agency databases for voter registration identification purposes. If you do not possess a GA driver's license or Social Security number, a unique identifier will be provided for you.
- Box 7 - Choice of Party: Georgia does NOT require that you register with a party to participate in partisan primary elections.
- Box 8 - Race or Ethnic Group: You are requested, but not required, to fill in this box.
- Review the "Who can vote?" section above and check that you're eligible.
- Sign the form.
- Send the completed form to your local election official. To register by mail, the form must be received by Tuesday, October 9.
Use the Georgia voter registration form
You can also register to vote using the Georgia voter registration form
. Be sure to read the instructions carefully and fill it out completely. Send the completed form to your local election official
. To register by mail, the form must be received by Tuesday, October 9.
can help you fill out your voter registration form, send you election reminders, and more. If you'd like more help registering to vote, TurboVote can walk you through the process.
Active-duty military, their families, and voters living outside the US can register to vote and request their absentee ballot using the Federal Post Card Application (FPCA). To do so:
If after submitting your FPCA, your ballot does not arrive, contact your election official first. Then:
- Fill out the Federal Post Card Application (FPCA), or download a copy. Your election official may have questions, so please provide an email address or phone number where they can reach you.
- Send the application to your election official.
- It is never too early to submit an FPCA! Please do so as soon as possible. You can look up recommended mailing dates by country and region.
- When your ballot arrives, read it carefully and follow the instructions to complete it and return it.
- States begin mailing absentee ballots at least 45 days before Election Day. If you haven't received your ballot by 30 days before Election Day, contact your local election office.
- You can still vote using the Federal Write-In Absentee Ballot (FWAB). Print, sign, and mail your FWAB to your local election office.
- If you mail a FWAB and then receive your regular absentee ballot, you should complete and mail your absentee ballot also. Election officials will ensure that only one ballot is counted.
The Federal Voting Assistance Program – FVAP.gov
offers additional information on military and overseas voting in Georgia.
- Election day is Tuesday, November 6.
- The deadline to register online is Tuesday, October 9.
- The deadline for registering to vote by mail is Tuesday, October 9.
- The deadline to register to vote in person is Tuesday, October 9.
Secretary of State
2 MLK Jr. Drive, Suite 802, Floyd West Tower
Atlanta, GA 30334